An evaluation (White et al, 2012, Journal of the Royal Society of Medicine short reports) of referrals made by GPs to the specialist clinic at Bart’s Hospital found that 49% did not have a diagnosis of ME/CFS.
A study (Newton et al, 2010, Journal of the Royal College of Physicians of Edinburgh) of patients referred by GPs to the Newcastle NHS ME/CFS Service found that 40% were diagnosed with conditions other than ME/CFS of these:
- 47% were found to have fatigue associated with a chronic disease, including metabolic syndrome, neurological disorder, connective tissue disorder/ autoimmune disease and fibromyalgia
- 20% had a primary sleep disorder
- 15% had a psychological/psychiatric illnesses, most commonly depression, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder
- 13% of patients had fatigue for which the cause remained unexplained
- 4% had cardiovascular disorders